09:00 - 10:00
Registration, welcome coffee
09:55 - 10:00
The host of the Forum: greetings and introduction of the participants
10:05 - 10:30 Keynote address
Minister of Finance Mr. Makis Keravnos
The ever-changing international landscape presents new unprecedented challenges for economies across the world. At the same time, digital transition, and evolving opportunities for diversification provide smaller countries with unique place within the shifting global setting. Governments, institutions and businesses should show their readiness to tackle the current crisis through flexibility and openness to new, bold approaches.
- Unfolding Cyprus potential amid global uncertainty
- Coordinating the advancement of AML practices, application of sanctions and the fight against corruption
10:30 - 11:30 Navigating the Change in the International Sanctions Environment
Evolving international challenges, including the ongoing war in Ukraine, disruptions in energy and commodity markets, and the intensifying sanctions environment in a highly globalized world are contributing to the unprecedented challenge. Seeking to navigate the shifting international framework, countries and businesses form partnerships and identify best practices for the evolving global landscape.
- Drawing lessons from the Cypriot approach to the shifting international framework
- Navigating challenging compliance dilemmas in the context of multi-jurisdictional sanctions
- Applying best practices for evaluating international compliance weak spots
- Mitigating corporate risk under sections regimes and contributing to the institutional transparency
- Andreas Gregoriades, Board Member KPMG in Cyprus, Chairman of the AML and Compliance committee of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Cyprus (ICPAC)
- Antonis Karaolis, Advocate, Member of the Board Koukounis, Karaolis LLC, EY Law
- Constantinos Papanastasiou, Board Member – Cyprus Investment Funds Association (CIFA)
Moderator: Maria Clappa
Partner Tassos Papadopoulos & Associates LLC
12:00 - 12:45 Cyprus: A New Chapter Ahead for Business and Investment
The Cypriot economy has shown resilience to crises over the past years and is among the top economies worldwide in terms of post-pandemic foreign direct investment recovery. Cyprus now opens, attracting international investments, emphasizing country’s commitment to fostering economic growth and diversifying its growth model according to the new economic vision.
- Implementing a new investment strategy: overcoming challenges and identifying opportunities
- Attracting businesses and talent: elaborating favorable regulation and business environment
- Developing digital infrastructure as a foundational pillar of the new growth model
- Public-private synergy: business contribution to the Cyprus strategic vision
- Ugne Buraciene, Group Chief Executive Officer at payabl.
- Natasa Pilides, Former Minister of Energy, Commerce and Industry of the Republic of Cyprus
- Anna Melnichek, Chief Executive Officer at Melnichek Investments
Moderator: Marios Giorgoudis, General Manager at TechIsland
12:45 - 13:30
International business: Cyprus as an Emerging Business Centre of the Eastern Mediterranean
Providing a platform for Cyprus International Business Association CIBA for a vivid dialogue about relevant issues and challenges
Having showed notable resilience in 2022, recording significant growth of 5.6%, despite the negative international environment, the Cypriot economy is expected to grow by 2.5% in 2023, well above the euro area average. The economic growth of Cyprus was largely supported by new international business ventures. Due to new incentives, many high value-adding foreign companies have been attracted to Cyprus, further supporting Cypriot GDP, and reinforcing the vision to transform Cyprus into an emerging technology hub.
- Fintech: contributing to the transformation of the Cypriot economy.
- Timur Turlov, Founder and CEO Freedom Holding Corp.
- Kyriakos Kokkinos, ex-Deputy Minister of Research, Innovation and Digital Policy
- Christodoulos Papadopoulos – CEO of geevo® and President of Cyprus Association of Information Protection and Privacy (CAIPP)
Moderator: Vassilios Demetriades, Former Shipping Deputy Minister to the President